Thursday, December 18, 2008

Poly Pellet Fiasco

The same day Amanda had her baby, I was getting ready to put together "I Spys" for both my kids and my niece and nephews. We don’t usually worry about presents for our nieces & nephews but I figured since most of the things I wanted to put in them were sold in bulk, so to speak, I may as well use the extra things I would have to make an I Spy for all the kids instead of just mine.

After gathering over 100 things to go into each of the pouches, I shopped all over the place for poly pellets which are tiny, whitish little plastic pellets used for helping to hide the items in the I Spy. The thing I didn’t realize is that they are very popular around here this time of year. I called and visited several stores before I finally actually found any. Even then I wasn’t sure if I had enough. I cleaned out the last two stores that were carrying any and I had just under half of a 2-lb bag left of Evelyn’s and prayed they would be enough.

That afternoon, after we got home, I was getting the lists ready to go so I could go over to Evelyn’s house to put them together that evening. Ryan and Ben were excited to go to Grandma’s house and Ryan especially, had been telling me every 10 minutes how we had to go to grandma’s house…...so imagine my surprise when I was finally ready to go and I walked into the front room to find poly pellets, about 3 of the ten 8-oz bags plus the bag Evelyn had given me, scattered all over my living roomin the shag carpet! I was so upset (it’s not like I could just go out and buy more!) that I sent the boys to bed immediately. NO Grandma’s house, NO dinner, nothing! Ryan didn’t take me very seriously, I guess, because he kept opening his door, turning on his light, and challenging my authority. So to get him to take me seriously, I went into his room and thought, You think you're so smart? Well guess what! I'm SMARTER!! And I took his light bulb! (I was seriously upset!) Then I put him in bed again, told him to go to bed, and shut I the door. After that he went to sleep.

I called Paul, who was already at his mom’s waiting for us, and let him know we would not be over there. I knew it was going to be tight on pellets before this little fiasco and now after, I was sure there wouldn’t be enough. Paul came home right away and patiently helped me to clean up the pellets…I had been picking them up by hand but he, being the intelligent man he is, cleaned the vacuum out and then vacuumed most of them up….but I’m pretty sure there’s still at least half a bag of pellets still in my carpet. After vacuuming them up, Paul rinsed and sifted and dried them for me and I think we recovered the majority of them.

Meanwhile, Evelyn, who heard about my problem before Paul left her house, took Kendall and they went out looking for poly pellets everywhere she could think of. She didn’t find anything except for some pellets that were more like real glass and were about $12-$13 per 8-oz bag as opposed to the $2 per bag I paid. The next day she asked around at the high school where she works and found someone who had a 2-lb bag who said she’d sell it to me for what she paid for it! It is SO NICE to have a mother-in-law who cares and has connections! We finally got the bags put together tonight and we used all the poly pellets...and there were just enough! THANKS MOM!! I just hope all the kids love them!

The finished product! If you look closely, Evelyn was able to sew each of the kid's names into the fabric on the back! I was able to personalize them a bit too so they're all slightly different on the inside! It was fun!

Tuesday night I went downstairs and found hundreds of my pictures scattered all over the family room. Talk about frustration! I thought Monday night Ryan would have learned his lesson… Just Sunday I think is was, I found Ben with a black Sharpie…yep…coloring all over the copy machine and cabinet in the room downstairs. It seems like lately they’ve just been acting up like crazy and I just can’t figure out why!! And it’s both of them!! Anyway, I hope this doesn’t keep up for too long. They’re driving me nuts! But hey! We get to go to California tomorrow! YAY!!

No comments: