Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Spank 'im! Spank 'im!"

So sometimes we let the boys trade beds (Ryan in the crib and Ben in Ryan's bed) because they think it's such a privilege. It's kind of funny because Ryan loves to sleep in the crib now! He couldn't wait to get out of it originally and now he loves any chance he gets to sleep in it. Anyway, the problem with allowing them to trade is that Ben will sometimes get out of bed because he can! (He hasn't yet figured out how to get himself safely out of the crib.)

After putting the boys in bed for the third time or so, Ben got out again. As I chased him back into the room I heard Ryan from the crib telling me, "Spank 'im! Spank 'im! Spank 'im, Mommy! Spank 'im!" It was so funny because there was a big smile in his voice as he said it! And since I hadn't spanked either of them the first, second, or third times, he really had no reason to think I would spank Ben this time. (.....I just kept threatening they'd have to sleep in their own beds again.) I asked Ryan why I should spank Ben and with a big wicked grin he explained something to the effect of because he got out of bed when you told him not to!

I don't really know why he thought it would be funny but I did notice a mischievious "older brother" look in his eye, trying to get his younger brother in trouble. I didn't spank Ben. I was laughing too hard on the inside because I could tell it wasn't really out of malice, just mischief. Of course on the outside I was letting him know it wasn't very nice to try and get his brother in trouble. I'm sure this is only the beginning so I'll have to be much smarter about how I discipline them both so that Ryan will be less desirous to see his brother punished!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahah!!! Thanks! Another laugh to share at work.

Rebecca Susan said...

I just love when the older ones start getting mischievous like that. . . .long days ahead! lol