Friday, August 29, 2008

20 Years From Now, This Will Be Funny!

Okay, I'd been warned that 3 yrs old boys were actually worse than 2 yr old boys. I was hoping to escape it....I guess part of me knew I wouldn't. I mean, I've noticed for awhile now that Ryan has a knack for getting into things he knows he shouldn't and doing things he knows he shouldn't.

So what did my dear, sweet 3 yr old do this time??? Well, let's put it this way: this time it was bad enough, I was mad enough, that when I told him to go to his room and sit on his bed (before I did something I would regret).....he didn't put up even the smallest protest. He ran upstairs, got in bed, and even took a nap without so much as a whimper!

Ryan....dear, sweet, potty-trained little Ryan peed all over the cable box yesterday. And not just a little bit....oh no! He made sure he doused it well! The frustrating part is he is officially potty trained now.....he's gone for weeks without accidents and he doesn't even wet the bed most nights....he was just having a super-rebellion yesterday! Before peeing on the cable box he'd already peed his pants twice!

I had been in the room about 2 minutes prior to the incident but left for some reason and when I poked my head back in there a couple minutes after he had done his deed (which was only about 6-8 minutes after I had left originally), he told me he had peed his pants (which were on the ground on the opposite side of the room). I cleaned his pants up quickly but didn't think to check anything else. He didn't bother telling me about the cable box until about 5 minutes after that when the picture on the TV froze and he wanted me to get it working again. Then when I asked what happened (before I got to the box) he mentioned casually that he had peed on it. I saw red and ordered him to his room...I think the expression on my face was enough to warn him not to challenge me.

But like I said before, this was a very rare occasion where Ryan understood pretty quickly how much trouble he was in (he probably saw a vein in my forehead ready to burst or my eyes ready to pop out of their sockets or something!) because he didn't fight the punishment and then when Daddy got home and he had to tell Paul what he'd done, he started crying and was actually quite remorseful and promised that he'd pee in the potty from now on! I could tell he truly felt bad about it.

Paul called Comcast to tell them the box isn't working anymore (and he told them the truth as to why it's not working anymore) but so far they've asked him to take it in and they'll replace it....so far they're not going to charge us for it. Of course, if it can't be fixed they'll probably end up charging us for it....yikes!

Oh and the best part.....Paul & I had to be ready to go to the temple yesterday evening! Yeah. Not exactly an event that puts one in the best state of mind for the temple! But honestly, of all our parenting moments, I feel like we didn't do so bad with this one. I mean, yes, I got very angry very quickly, but both Paul & I handled it better than I thought we would. I don't feel like we (well, I, especially) did anything too drastic, harsh, unfair, or improper in handling it which is somewhat of a relief.....It helped that Ryan didn't argue with me about going to his room and that he willingly took a nap because I had time to cool down before he woke up and Paul got home..... so in the end, we were still able to go to the temple without guilty consciences of how maybe we could have handled it better or something like that. Maybe there's hope for us as parents after all! And I'm sure 20 years from now, this will be funny!

No comments: